On Friday, February 8, 2013, House Bill 2223, a bill created to allow Kansas homebrewers to legally share homebrew at club meetings and enter homebrew competitions, will be introduced to the House Committee on Federal and State Affairs.
As many of you already know, Kansas is a bit ass-backwards (to put it nicely) when it comes to its liquor laws. If you’re like me and have wondered how you can help make things better, then this is your chance to have your voice heard. To help, contact the Committee members that will be reviewing this bill. Steve Cook, the President of the KC Bier Meisters homebrew club, put together a list of committee members and their e-mail addresses, which I’ve included below, along with some tips that Steve has outlined.
If you send an e-mail:
- Do not send from a government e-mail address (ksu.edu, for example).
- Be polite, asking them to support the “Home Brew Bill” because you want to legally transport your home brew to share with others at club meetings and at competitions.
- Keep it short. 2 or 3 lines is all you need.
- Be sure to have a personalized salutation to each legislator. Do not send a mass mailing to all the members at once. If it is personalized, it will have more of an impact. Thank them at the end of the email for their public service. They work for peanuts and spend much time on our behalf.
List of Committee members:
- Arlen H. Siegfreid, R-121st (Chair) email@example.com
- Steven R. Brunk, R-85th (Vice Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rob Bruchman, R-20th email@example.com
- Larry Campbell, R-26th firstname.lastname@example.org
- J. R. Claeys, R-69th email@example.com
- Susan L. Concannon, R-107th firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ken Corbet, R-54th email@example.com
- Travis Couture-Lovelady, R-110th firstname.lastname@example.org
- Willie Dove, R-38th email@example.com
- Shanti Gandhi, R-52nd firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brett Hildabrand, R-17th email@example.com
- Michael Houser, R-1st firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert (Bob) Montgomery, R-15th email@example.com
- Reid Petty, R-125th firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marty Read, R-4th email@example.com
- Allan Rothlisberg, R-65th firstname.lastname@example.org
- Troy L. Waymaster, R-109th email@example.com
- Louis E. Ruiz, D-31st (Ranking Member) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broderick Henderson, D-35th email@example.com
- Emily Perry, D-24th firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael J. Peterson, D-32nd email@example.com
- Annie Tietze, D-53rd firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ponka-We Victors, D-103rd email@example.com
Per the recommendation of a friend, I’ve included an example of the language that you can use when sending the e-mail. Copy and paste this as the body of your e-mail, or tweak it how you see fit.
Dear <committee member name>,
My name is <your name>, and I’m writing today to encourage you to support House Bill 2223, which authorizes the production and transportation of homemade fermented beverages. As a homebrewer who resides in Kansas, I feel it is important to update current Kansas Statutes to allow me to share my homemade beer with friends, fellow homebrew club members, and enter it into competitions.
Thank you for your time and your service to residents in the state of Kansas.